Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crawl log error: Access is Denied

The error I’m receiving is: Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled. (The item was deleted because it was either not found or the crawler was denied access to it.)

I believe this had something to do with changing the Alternate Access Mappings. This error and the change to the mappings happened around the same time. Of course I tried to change the mapping back to what it was previously, with no luck. Googled the morning away and then I found a regedit from Microsoft:

After a reboot, I reset all crawled content and now I’m able to crawl my Sharepoint site. Was very strange problem to me because I didn’t get this error when crawling my fileshares. With that info, I knew the credentials were fine, so I had to move on to another cause. The fix seems to be working great. It’s been running good for about 48 hours with multi-reboots for good measure. Please read carefully and make sure that this applies to you before implementing this fix.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 ( ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Sorry, Windows Live Spaces doesn't support file uploads
1) Change to a different blog provider, then;
2) Save the draft
3) Change to HTML view, then back to the view you were on.
Your files will be ready to upload then.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Sharepoint - Prompting for user credentials

At first this seemed to be an easy fix but after my first few trials and errors, I had to dig a bit deeper.  Let me set up the scenario:

User had just changed her password upon logging into Remote Desktop (Terminal Services for you hard core people).  After the login process, her credentials were out of sync on the original PC she was using to login to Remote Desktop.  That’s when the fun started.  So, I get a call and the user explains the issue: “I cannot see the intranet, what’s wrong?”  A quick jump over to the client and now I’m in the thick of it…  If you have been using Sharepoint enough, then you have seen this prompt before:

I simply typed the credentials in and WHAM!?!..  I get prompted again for credentials.  Curious, this time, I try my credentials.  Same thing is happening over and over again.  This user cannot see the intranet!!!  After finding out about the password change, I logged out and logged back in.  Now the page actually loaded, but after a few clicks, I’m prompted for credentials again… WTF?!?  Thinking on the fly, I just was curious to see what the event viewer would tell me.  I found these two error messages:

Error 2


Error 3

I initially thought the user account was being hammered via Remote Desktop by someone out in the world.  I pull up Active Directory to check the status of the account.  That didn’t go over, because the account wasn’t disabled.  At that point, I wanted to make sure the account was enabled, so I just disabled/enabled the account.  After doing that, the problem persisted, however, I did get a nugget of love in the Event Viewer this time!!!

Error 1

Now we are on to something…  (WARNING!!! XP Instructions, so modify accordingly to your O.S.) Crack open the control panel, click on user accounts, click the Advanced tab, and finally onto the magic Manage Passwords button.  Buried in here was the user’s cached credentials that windows was pulling from and thus prompting us for the updated credentials.  I simply deleted it, as this functionality isn’t required for my environment.  I hope this helps!!!